The perfect Summertime dessert, Shortcakes, have been made healthier with gluten-free flour and low sugar, and the addition of Blackberries and Blueberries for even more goodness. Serve these Gluten Free Triple Berry Shortcakes for any occasion, they are simple enough for weeknights yet special enough for a dinner party or upcoming 4th of July holiday or Father’s Day.
One of the greatest things about Summer is the abundance of fresh berries. We eat them as often as possible for breakfast, lunch, dinner and of course, dessert! There are so many wonderful ways to feature berries in a dessert.
I have shared a little with you about my health journey this year, my morning routine and how I’m trying to bring more fun into my life. After my detox in February, one of the things that the Doctor discovered is that I should avoid gluten in my diet. Well, of course, this hit pretty hard since I LOVE to bake delicious desserts and share them with you. So slowly I have been changing some of my classic recipes that we all enjoy and making them Gluten Free.
These Gluten Free Shortcakes are the perfect example of taking an ordinary recipe and making it healthier.
These Shortcakes are made with Gluten Free flour and Truvia Spoonable Natural Sweetener, making them better for you, but still delicious. I started with my original recipe for Triple Berry Shortcakes with Real Whipping Cream, changed the regular flour to gluten free flour, and instead of sugar I used Truvia in the shortcakes as well as a sprinkle on the fruit.
The shortcake dough is simple to make and comes together quickly in the food processor or by hand. The process of the dough making is similar to making a pie crust, after the dry ingredients are sifted together, then cut in the butter until the dough resembles course pebbles. Then add the egg and milk, and mix well until the dough comes together in a ball.
I like rolling out the dough and using a cookie cutter, but you can also make the shortcakes by using a teaspoon and dropping them onto the cookie sheet.
While the shortcakes are baking, clean the fruit and sprinkle it with 1-2 tablespoons Truvia Spoonable Natural Sweetener, let it set while the shortcakes cool down. You can also make the shortcakes ahead of time and store them in an airtight container. To assemble the Triple Berry Shortcakes, I used heavy whipping cream with a teaspoon of vanilla for flavor and whipped until stiff, you could also use Cool Whip if you like, then it’s time to put the shortcakes, berries and whip cream together and enjoy!
Gluten Free Triple Berry Shortcakes
The perfect Summertime dessert made healthier with gluten-free flour and low sugar
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 12-18
- Category: Dessert
- 2 cups Gluten Free Flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Truvia Natural Sweetener
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Butter, cold, cut into pieces
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 cup Strawberries, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup Blueberries, cleaned
- 1 cup Blackberries, cleaned
- 1-2 tablespoons Truvia Natural Sweetener
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease cookie sheets
- Sift together dry ingredients and using a Pastry Blender, cut in the butter. Or place in food processor and pulse lightly
- Mix the beaten egg and milk, pour into center of dry mixture
- Mix well
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface
- Add enough flour and knead until the dough is not sticky
- Roll out dough and cut with cookie cutters
- Cut out shortcakes and place on greased cookie sheet
- Bake at 350 degree for about 12-15 minutes or until golden brown
- Clean berries and sprinkle with Truvia, set aside
- To serve, whip a carton of heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form, add 1 teaspoon vanilla for more flavor if you like. You can also use Cool Whip.
- Place a shortcake on the plate, top with whip cream and berries, add another shortcake, whip cream and more berries.
- Store shortcakes in an airtight container. Store leftover berries and whip cream in fridge
Try one of these recipes using Truvia Spoonable, Truvia Baking Blend or Truvia Brown Sugar Blend…
- Berry Ice Cream Floats
- Lemon Drop Cookies
- Blueberry Orange Bread
- Hot Cocoa Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- Cinnamon Pecan Quick Bread
- Pumpkin Pie Fudge
- Homemade Caramel Sauce
- Baked Apple Recipe
- Hard Raspberry Lemonade
- White Chocolate Fudge
- Lemon Berry Cheesecakes
- Sugar Free Fresh Squeezed Lemonade
- Light Blueberry Muffins
- Simple Berry Cobbler
- Cherry Vanilla Fudge
- Meyer Lemon & Strawberry Pie
- Banana Walnut Bread: Starbucks Copycat Recipe
- Tangy Lime Bars
- Cotton Candy Fudge
- Banana Bread Cobbler
- Graham Cracker Log
- How to make Brown Sugar
- Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cherry Almond Bars
- Red Velvet Cupcake Bites
- Pink Velvet Cupcakes
- Double Chocolate Cupcakes