With only three ingredients, these Cake Mix Cookies are super versatile! Change the flavors, mix ins and add frosting if you like, or leave them plain!
If there was ever an award for the best – most versatile – cookie recipe – this Cake Mix Cookie Recipe would win! Hands down!
Why do I love these Cake Mix Cookies?
- You only need 3 ingredients
- Just by changing the flavor of the cake mix, you can make a variety of cake box cookies
- The options for mix ins are endless
For these Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies, I decided not to add anything to the dough. There are only three ingredients – cake mix, eggs and oil, that’s it!
The addition of the Peppermint Frosting and crushed peppermints is the perfect balance.
How to make cookies from cake mix
Having a cookie recipe that you can whip up quickly and change the flavors is super helpful! Here are a few tips that I have discovered –
- Baker’s Tip #1: Be sure that the cake mix does not have any clumps. You can use a fork, whisk or sift it.
- Baker’s Tip #2: It’s best to use room temperature eggs. If you forget to take them out of the refrigerator, you can add them to a cup of hot water for a few minutes to quickly bring them up to room temperature.
- Baker’s Tip #3: To flatten the cookies a bit (like I did) dip your finger in water and gently smooth out the tops of the cookie dough. The flatter cookies also work really well for Cookie Sandwiches.
- Baker’s Tip #4: After trying 12 varieties of Cake Mix Cookies – Deborah from Taste and Tell shares that different flavors of cake mix may bake differently. She also writes that the different sizes of cake mixes doesn’t alter the amount of ingredients added (eggs and oil).
- Baker’s Tip #5: These cookies are best slightly under baked. I baked these 10 minutes, because they were thinner, they turned out perfectly with a crispy edge and soft in the center.
Cake Cookies with Mix ins
The mix in options are endless, here are some ideas to get you started –
- Mini M&M’s chocolate candies
- Chocolate Chips or any flavor Chip
- Candy, chopped
- Dried Cranberries or other dried fruits
Frosting Recipe for Cake Mix Cookies
You can add any type of frosting recipe you like to your cake mix cookies. Here are some flavor combinations –
- Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies with Peppermint Frosting
- Lemon Cake Mix Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Strawberry Cookies with Buttercream Frosting
- Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies with Marshmallow Frosting
- Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Pumpkin Cookies with Maple Frosting
Chocolate and Peppermint are like a match made in heaven! Especially during the biggest cookie baking season – Christmas!
For the Peppermint Frosting on the Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies, I combined colored half the frosting with pink gel coloring, and fitted the decorator bag with a large round tip. Then filled the bag with the white frosting on one side and the pink frosting on the other side of the bag.
Swirl on the frosting and top with crushed peppermint.
If you love Peppermint, you may also like these other recipes –
Click on the photo for the recipe.
Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 box cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- About 1/2 cup each Mix-ins like Peanut Butter Chips, M&M's, Nuts, Toffee Bits, etc
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray
- Mix together cake mix, eggs and oil
- Stir in additional mix-ins, if desired
- Scoop with cookie dough scoop or teaspoon
- Bake for 10-12 minutes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0 Total Fat: 0g