This no bake Chocolate Trifle can be put together in under 15 minutes. Add Peppermint for the holidays or leave it out if you aren’t a mint fan. Layers of mint cookie crumbs, chocolate pudding and topped with whip cream and candy canes.
Welcome to Day 18 of the 100 Days of Homemade Holiday Inspiration! Each day we will be inspiring you with recipes, decorating ideas, crafts, homemade gift ideas and much more!
Inspired by the Chocolate Peppermint Pie, this chocolate trifle recipe is super easy to put together and make a great quick Christmas dessert.
They have a layer of mint Oreo cookie crumbs on the bottom, then a mixture of chocolate pudding with peppermint extract and whipped topping.
The pudding mixture has a combination of chocolate and vanilla, however you can easily change the flavors for a different dessert if you don’t like peppermint. Or simply leave out the peppermint for a delicious chocolate dessert.
Chocolate Trifles with Peppermint
- Mint Oreo Cookies – you will need about 2 tablespoons for each 4 ounce container. 12 cookies will about 1 1/2 cups or 24 tablespoons of crumbs.
- Pudding Mix – chocolate and vanilla – you can use Instant Pudding or cooked, I used instant to make it a bit easier
- Peppermint Extract
- Whipped Topping
- Candy Canes – for decoration, if you like
Kitchen Essentials Needed
- Containers – any size or shape will work fine. I used 4 ounce glass bowls from IKEA. You can also use 1 large Trifle Bowl if you like.
- Food Processor – this one is my absolute favorite, I like it as well as my stand mixer
- Large Bowl
- Rubber Spatula
- Disposable Decorating Bags – this is optional, but I have found it to be easiest method to add filling to small containers.
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoon
- Wooden Taper, or something to pack the crust with
How to Make Chocolate Peppermint Filling
- Pour milk into large bowl and add chocolate pudding mix
- Add vanilla pudding mix
- Whisk until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- The mixture will be thicker than normal pudding
- Fold in whipped topping
- Stir until completely combined and smooth
How to Make Chocolate Cookie Crust
- Break cookies into pieces and add to food processor
- Crush cookies and fine as possible
- Add about 2 tablespoons of cookie crumbs to each container – depending on the size of your container
- Press crumbs together using a wooden taper or other tool
- Add filling to plastic decorator bag. This step is optional, but have found it’s much easier to add filling to small containers with a bag.
- Fill containers with pudding mixture
- Set in refrigerator to chill, at least 2 hours
After the pudding is set, it’s time to decorate these Mini Christmas Desserts. The options are endless for decorations.
These have a dollop of whip cream, crushed candy canes and a sprinkle of leftover cookie crumbs.
Serve immediately with a spoon.
Follow along with the 100 Days of Homemade Holiday Inspiration for more simple recipes, easy crafts, homemade gift ideas, decorating tips and much more!
Looking for more quick Christmas Desserts with Chocolate and Peppermint? Click on the photo for the recipes.
- 10-12 Mint Oreo Cookies, crushed
- 1 small box (3.4 oz) Instant Chocolate Pudding
- 1 small box (3.4 oz) Instant Vanilla Pudding
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 tub (8 oz) Whipped Topping or 2 cups whipped cream, plus additional for decorating
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Candy Canes, crushed for decorating, optional
- Set out containers. You can use 5 small containers, or 1 large Trifle bowl for this recipe.
- Crush cookies in food processor. The number of cookies may vary depending on the size of your containers.
- Add about 2 tablespoons to each container. The amount may vary depending on the size of your containers. Reserve some crumbs for decorating if you like.
- Pour milk into large bowl, add pudding mixes and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes. Mixture will be thicker than regular pudding.
- Fold in whipping topping until smooth
- Add peppermint extract and stir well
- Add filling to disposable decorator bag (this is the easiest method)
- Fill containers with pudding mixture
- Set in refrigerator for at last 2 hours to chill
- To decorate - add a dollop of whipped cream, crushed candy canes and a sprinkle of cookie crumbs.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 73mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 3g