One of my favorite flavor combinations is orange and cranberry. The Cranberry Bread recipe that I make quite often during the Winter months, has a burst of citrus flavor with fresh oranges. These Orange Cranberry Cookies have definitely jumped to the top of the list with delicious flavor.
The cookies are soft yet have a little crispy coating with a combination of sugar and orange zest. And the cranberries add a nice difference in texture. They also go together in a snap and the recipe gives you about 3 dozen cookies.
The flaky buttery flavor also reminded me of the Citrus Drop Cookies that I shared last year, made with Blood Oranges and Meyer Lemons.
The produce right now at Walmart is bursting with flavor! The Citrus Event that is going on in stores right now features these Navel Oranges, which are part of the 100% freshness guarantee – if you’re not completely satisfied with their produce, just bring back your receipt and they will give you a full refund no questions asked and no need to bring back the purchase. I’m pretty sure you are going to be satisfied, but it’s also really nice to know that if you aren’t, Walmart offers a guarantee.
Have you had a chance to try any of the Citrus fruit? I thought you could only find the best citrus in the warm states, like California or Florida. Well, little did I know I there are many Citrus varieties available at Walmart.
Yields 3 dozen
Soft and lightly crispy cookies bursting with flavor from fresh oranges and cranberries. Recipe from HoosierHomemade.com
10 minPrep Time
12 minCook Time
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange zest, finely chopped
- 2 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoons fresh orange zest, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheet with silicone mat or parchment paper
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and egg
- Add orange juice and zest, blend well
- Combine flour, baking soda and baking powder. Gradually add, creaming after each addition
- Stir in cranberries
- Combine sugar and zest for coating in a small bowl
- Scoop cookies with a cookie scoop or tablespoon, roll into ball then roll in orange sugar
- Place on cookie sheet
- Bake for 11-12 minutes - rotating pan after 6 minutes
- Cookies should be firm but still soft in the center
- Let set on pan for 2 minutes then remove to cooling rack
- Store in air tight container
Recipe adapted from Land O’ Lakes
More Citrus Recipes…
- Citrus Drop Cookies
- Meyer Lemon Strawberry Pie
- White Chocolate + Orange Ice Cream with Raspberry Swirl from De Su Mama
- Southern Lemon Meringue Pie from Wholesome Mommy
- Fresh Orange Pound Cake from Mommy’s Kitchen