Coffee Cake is one of those recipes that everyone needs in their recipe box. This Coffee Cake with Sour Cream is easy to put together, delicious and yes – you can even put it together the night before and have it ready for the next morning.
Welcome to Day 71 of the 100 Days of Homemade Holiday Inspiration! Each day we will be inspiring you with recipes, decorating ideas, crafts, homemade gift ideas and much more!
Entertaining doesn’t have to be fancy. In fact, hosting a brunch is one of the easiest and most inexpensive meals to serve. Whether you are planning to host a Christmas breakfast, Easter brunch, Spring bridal shower, or even just enjoy serving your family a big weekend breakfast, you can’t go wrong with this Sour Cream Coffee Cake.
During the holidays when there is big dinner planned, I always plan an easy breakfast that can be made ahead of time. My extra time in the kitchen is limited, so any recipe that I can prepared ahead is an extra bonus.
This Coffee Cake is one that I have been making for years. The recipe is easy enough that you can change to suit your taste. Often times, I layer the streusel topping with the batter, and I have also added a variety of nuts.
When we think of Coffee Cake the first thing that comes to mind to breakfast or brunch, but this recipe is also perfect for dessert. And it’s actually better the second day. Just be sure to store it in an airtight container.
Coffee Cake with Sour Cream
The secret ingredient in this Coffee Cake is sour cream. Using regular sour cream is best, however you can certainly try with light sour cream or even yogurt.
After the batter is mixed and poured into the baking pan, mix the streusel topping and place in a container with a lid. Add plastic wrap to the coffee cake and place in the refrigerator over night. Then in the morning remove the coffee cake from the refrigerator 30 minutes before you are ready to bake it, letting it come to room temperature. Then bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.
You can also bake the coffee cake right away after mixing, but I have found the results to be better when you store it in the fridge over night.
Are you going to a holiday party soon? This Make Ahead Coffee Cake also makes a great hostess gift. I bet the hostess would love to have this Coffee Cake to serve her family the morning after the party.
Prepare the cake batter, then add it to a disposable pan. Mix the topping and add to a glass jar with a lid.
Don’t forget to add baking instructions to the package.
Follow along with the 100 Days of Homemade Holiday Inspiration for more simple recipes, easy crafts, homemade gift ideas, decorating tips and much more!
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 11/2 cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup nuts - pecans or walnuts
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Spray 13 x 9 pan with nonstick spray, set aside. In a large bowl, cream the butter.
- Add the eggs, sour cream and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Add to wet mixture, mixing on low until well blended, increase speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes.
- Pour evenly into the prepared pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Combine streusel ingredients, cover tightly and store at room temperature.
- In the morning, remove pan from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove plastic wrap, evenly sprinkle with streusel. Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 472 Total Fat: 30g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 111mg Sodium: 279mg Carbohydrates: 46g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 28g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 7g
Looking for more easy Breakfast Recipes? Click on the photo for the recipe.