These simple Creamy Vanilla Thumbprint Cookies start with a shortbread cookie and the filling is creamy vanilla like a cream puff. A sprinkle of pecans top them off. AND they have less sugar in them too!
Confession time. These Creamy Vanilla Thumbprint Cookies are awesome. Not just awesome, but super creamy, full of vanilla, melt-in-your-mouth awesome. They are the perfect cookie for a gathering or to make as a special treat right at home.
The base of this cookie is one of our favorites around here. And you’ve seen the cookie base before on our Lemon Drop Cookies. It was great on these Lemon Drop Cookies and it’s just as equally awesome on the Creamy Vanilla Thumbprint Cookies.
The final product of these Thumbprint Cookies is amazing. All of the ingredients work together to create an unforgettable taste that is ultimately hard to resist. With this recipe, it’s clear that not all thumbprint cookies are created equal.
After you have rolled up the dough into these adorable little balls, you will then indent the back of them with the back of a cookie dough scoop or even with your thumb.
Friends, get excited about the filling in these cookies, it is simply divine. Made with the help of Truvia, this Pastry Cream Filling is a game changer in the cooker world. Yes, the final product of this cookie is 100% just as delicious as it looks. The cream, cookie crust, and pecans are all divine.
You have every right to get excited about these thumbprint cookies. You see, they are made with Truvia. Truvia Baking Blend is a zero calorie sugar substitute. It can turn any of your favorite recipes, including this one, just a little more sweet and blissful. We’ve started using Truvia more and more and love it. You can also purchase Truvia in the form of packets, which is also a great alternative to sugar. Remember to just use half as much Truvia Baking Blend as you would be sugar and you’re off to baking heaven.
Looking for more recipes using Truvia? We have lots to choose from!
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened (real butter, not margarine)
- 2 tablespoons Truvia Baking Blend
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 11/4 cup Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 + 1/2 Tablespoons Truvia Baking Blend
- 1/8 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 + 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine butter, Truvia Baking Blend, egg yolk and vanilla in large bowl, beat until well mixed.
- Add flour and salt, beat well.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls.
- Place on greased or parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Make indentation in center of each cookie with thumb or back of spoon.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove from cookie sheets and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat Truvía Baking Blend, flour, salt and egg yolks on high speed until thick and pale yellow, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- While mixing on low speed, gradually pour the hot milk into the egg mixture. Transfer the mixture back to the saucepan and cook, whisking constantly to prevent scorching.
- Continue to heat over medium heat until it begins to bubble, then continue cooking and whisking for about 30 seconds to thoroughly cook the eggs.
- Transfer cooked pastry cream to a clean bowl and stir in vanilla. Cover the surface of the pastry cream with plastic wrap or parchment paper to prevent a skin from forming. Cool in the refrigerator.
You will have left over filling with this recipe. You can double the cookie recipe, or add whip cream to the filling for a pudding like treat.