Especially during the Christmas holiday, I find myself a little too busy to make cut out cookies. So I often leave them for special days like Valentine’s Day. I have been using this recipe for Valentine Sugar Cookies for many years and my boys absolutely love it! I baked a half batch a couple days ago and had planned on sharing the recipe with you, and before I could even get them frosted, 40 cookies were gone within hours.
So I whipped up another batch last night, and set out to bake and decorate them today. This time though, I made a full batch and had them all done and photographed before the boys got home from school. And it’s a good thing too, the minute they saw them they grabbed a plate and piled them on.
While I absolutely love the look of sugar cookies decorated fancy with royal icing, I simply don’t have the time or patience to spend on them. I have also tried many different sugar cookie recipes, and my boys just love these. Not only are they soft and a little thicker than a normal sugar cookie, they have a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg in them giving them a wonderful flavor.
After falling in love with the Fluffy Marshmallow Frosting I used on the Conversation Heart Cupcakes earlier this week, I just had to make another batch for these Valentine Sugar Cookies. And the Micro Heart Sprinkles make me happy!
While I’m sure there are many, I think I have just about every heart shape cookie cutter around.
Besides the Micro Heart Sprinkles, the Valentine Nonpareils are another favorite of mine.
Can you tell we had a little fun with the photo shoot? I just L-O-V-E Valentine’s Day!
Tools that I love for cut-out sugar cookies –
- KitchenAid Mixer
- Rolling Pin
- Heart Shaped Cookie Cutters
- Sprinkles – Micro Heart Sprinkles and Valentine Nonpareils
The BEST soft sugar cookie you will ever have.
- 4 1/2 cups Flour plus more for rolling
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1-2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 c. Butter – real
- 1 2/3 cups Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup
- Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy
- Add eggs and beat well
- Gradually add dry ingredients, alternating with sour cream
- Dough will be sticky
- Place in bowl and cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray cookie sheet with cooking spray
- Knead dough a little at a time, with a flour just until dough is not sticky
- Roll out on a floured surface about 1/8 – 1/4 inch thick – we like them almost 1/4 inch
- Cut with cookie cutters and place on prepared cookie sheet
- Bake at 350 degrees for 6 minutes – turn pan and continue for 3-4 minutes more, just until cookie is done to the touch and lightly brown
- Cool completely and frost