It seems like I’ve been on a Strawberry kick lately. I’m not sure if it’s Spring Fever or the great price they have been lately at the store. This Fresh Strawberry Layer Cake starts with a recipe that comes from Susan Branch and her Summer Book, it’s a wonderful white layer cake that can be used with many different toppings, frostings or even made into cupcakes.
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, seperated
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream butter and sugar, until fluffy and well combined. Add egg yolks and beat until thick and lemon-colored. In a seperate bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix slightly with a fork or whisk. Add to the creamed mixture, alternately with milk. Stir in vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter, gently.
- For the Layer Cake, divide batter into 3 round cake pans, that have been sprayed and lightly dusted with flour. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Note: This cake can also be made into a 13×9, cupcakes, or any size pan. You will just need to adjust the baking time.
- For the topping, I used 1 pint container of fresh whipping cream, beat until stiff peaks form, add a dash of vanilla for flavor and about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. Beat well.
- Slice fresh strawberries. Remove cake from pan and place on serving platter, top with whipped cream, then strawberries, repeat for all layers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0g
Picking strawberries or buying them at the store when they are on sale is a good thing. Freezing them to use later is even better. Erin from $5 Dinners shows you how to freeze them to use later in smoothies, muffins or even pancakes.
So tell me, have you found strawberries on sale this year? Or maybe been lucky enough to pick some?