This classic Egg Salad Recipe is one that you need in your recipe box! You can enjoy egg salad recipe for sandwiches on bread or toast, crackers, or even in a bowl with lettuce, tomatoes, avocados and red onions.
There are three things, in my opinion, that are great about holidays.
- Building memories and enjoying the holiday with family
- Leftovers – ham and eggs always seem to be plentiful after Easter
- Common ingredients like eggs are always on sale during the holiday
While coloring eggs for Easter is a tradition that most families enjoy, what in the world do you do with all those eggs?
Well, make this egg salad recipe, of course.
When you think of egg salad, I bet you think of an egg salad sandwich, most of us do. And while I love a good sandwich, I’ve also grown to love a healthy bowl or plate of fresh ingredients.
The easy egg salad recipe is the star here, however adding simple fresh ingredients make it taste even better, and it’s also great to change things up once in awhile.
To serve along side of the best egg salad recipe, add cherry tomatoes (I like the heirloom varieties), lettuce, avocado, red onions and crackers.
Egg Salad Recipe
- Eggs – hard boiled, peeled and chopped – learn how to boil eggs for the perfect egg every time
- Celery – chopped finely
- Mayonnaise – you can use any that you like, if you are looking for a healthy version, you can make homemade mayo or use mayo made with Avocado Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Seasoning – there are a variety of seasonings you can use depending on your taste, for this simple egg salad recipe I used Everything Bagel Seasoning, you can find it at Trader Joe’s or make your own.
What do you put in your egg salad?
This egg salad recipe is simple and can be put together in under 5 minutes, but there a lot of variations you can try.
- Pickles – diced pickles or pickle juice
- Mustard – Dijon, yellow or dried
- Add chicken or other protein like Smoked Salmon
- Bacon – this BLT Egg Salad Sandwich looks like a great way variation
- Fresh Dill
- Celery Seed
- Green Onions
- Avocados – this Avocado Egg Salad BLT looks delicious
How to Make Egg Salad
- Chop eggs – there are typically three ways you can chop eggs for egg salad – 1) use a egg slicer – this will chop the eggs finely. 2) use a food processor – this version will chop the eggs super fine. or 3) use a knife for a coarse chop.
- Add finely chopped celery, salt, pepper and Everything Bagel Seasoning.
- Mix until combined
- Add the mayonnaise
- Mix until well combined
Now it’s time to serve the egg salad. Here are a few options for you –
Egg Salad Recipe – ways to serve
- Crackers – any crackers that you like – add the egg salad, then top with fresh ingredients like thinly sliced tomatoes, avocado, or thin slices of red onion. Then sprinkle with a little more seasoning.
- Bowl or Plate – add any fresh ingredients you like – lettuce, tomatoes, avocados and red onions are what I added. And don’t forget crackers or bread.
- Sandwich – Open face sandwich or closed on bread or toast, whatever you like is best. Then add lettuce and thinly sliced tomatoes, red onions and a sprinkle of seasoning.
- On the go lunch – add egg salad to a mason jar, add lettuce and other fresh ingredients on top, then add crackers or bread to a resealable bag and you are ready with a healthy lunch to take to work with you, or on a picnic.
- Storing – be sure to keep the egg salad in the refrigerator until serving. The flavors sometimes settle together, so be sure to give the egg salad another good stir if it’s been sitting for even a couple hours in the fridge.
This Egg Salad Recipe makes 2 1/2 cups, which is plenty for hearty sandwiches or a couple bowls with fresh ingredients. I also like serving this egg salad along with other options like ham salad or chicken salad, for a special brunch like Mother’s Day or Easter.
- 6 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Everything Bagel Seasoning from Trader Joe's or other seasoning you like
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Peel and chop eggs and add to medium bowl
- Chop celery and add to bowl
- Add salt, pepper and seasoning to bowl
- Stir to combine
- Add mayonnaise and stir until completely combined
- Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve
- Store leftovers in fridge
Serve on crackers, bread, toast or in a bowl with lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and onions.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 155 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 146mg Sodium: 371mg Carbohydrates: 1g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Protein: 5g