These Easy Fried Pies use only 2 ingredients – biscuits and canned pie filling, plus a little flour for rolling and oil to fry them in.
We all have those days…too much to do, not enough time. Seems like lately, I find myself in that situation more than I’d like to admit. It’s always great to have a super fast, easy dessert to serve after dinner, to serve to surprise guests that drop by, or as an afternoon treat.
I remember growing up, when my parents would take us camping, my Mom always made little pies over the campfire that she called Puckies. When I spotted the recipe for these Easy Fried Pies, it reminded me of fun times we had camping. And after cooking up a batch and giving them a try…I was reminded even more.
Doug thought they tasted like elephant ears, and even though my two oldest boys don’t like cherries all that much, they liked these Fried Pies. With just a couple ingredients, you can whip these pies up in no time! And they are easy enough the kids can help you prepare the pies for frying. On a lightly floured surface, roll out biscuits until they are thin, about 4-5 inches, add about 2 tablespoons filling to the middle, fold over and seal with a fork. Then it’s time to fry them up until golden brown and give them a little dusting of powdered sugar or a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar mixture.
My tip for frying is to have all the pies ready before you begin the cooking process. They fry in about 20-30 seconds, I added 3 pies to the oil, counted to 10, flipped and counted to 10 again, and they were done. Some of them even too brown. So it literally takes seconds to cook them.
Cookbooks from Gooseberry Patch are ones that I use most often, this recipe for Fried Pies comes from Simple Shortcut Recipes, it’s full of delicious recipes for days just like these.
Easy Fried Pies
Delicious treat that is easy enough for weeknight meal.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 minute
- Total Time: 11 minutes
- Yield: 20
- Category: Dessert
- 2 (12 oz) tubes refrigerated biscuits
- Flour for rolling out biscuits
- 1 cup canola oil
- 20 oz can fruit pie filling, any flavor
- Powered Sugar for dusting or Cinnamon and sugar to taste
- Remove biscuits from the package, let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each biscuit until about 4-5 inches
- Add 2 tablespoons pie filling to the middle of the biscuit
- Fold over and seal with a fork
- Heat oil in pan
- Carefully add 2-3 pies at a time, depending on the size of your pan
- Cook for about 8-10 seconds on each side or until golden brown – I counted to 10 then flipped and repeated counting
- Remove and place on paper towel to drain
- Dust with Powdered Sugar or sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture
Be sure you have all the pies ready before you start cooking, because they fry up really quickly. You can use 1 tube of biscuits, but you will have left over pie filling.