One of our favorite Holiday desserts, is Chocolate Meringue Pie. We all love it and it’s always gone before anything else.
I’m not really sure why I only make it for special Holidays or occasions, because it’s not really that difficult. It does take a little time, but it’s well worth the time.
I usually make Chocolate filling, that’s what we like the most, but you can certainly use lemon, butterscotch or any other flavor your family likes. I use 1 large box of Chocolate pudding (cooking, not instant) and make my own crust.
Ingredients for Meringue:
- 4 Large Eggs Whites, I use 4 eggs so that the meringue is tall and thick
- 1 t. Vanilla
- 1/2 t. Cream of Tartar
- 1/2 c. Sugar
Because I wanted to show you step by step pictures, I’ve combined them so that the post isn’t too long.
- Place eggs in bowl and let warm up to room temperature, this step is very important
- Seperate egg whites into bowl, let warm up a little more if needed
- Beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar at medium speed…
- Until soft peaks form
- Gradually add sugar, beating after each addition on high speed, until stiff peaks form
- Begin spooning meringue at the edge of the pie, this seals the edge and helps prevent shrinkage
- Fill in the middle
- Use a small spatula or the back of a spoon to form peaks
Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, watching closely so the peaks won’t burn.
Today is the last day of the Holiday Food Fest. I hope you all have enjoyed it as much as we have! A big Thank You to Amy from Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free for organizing the Food Fest.
This post also linked to:
~Foodie Friday hosted by Design by Gollum