The creamy flavor of caramel – the goodness of a comforting breakfast casserole – and the crunchy topping like apple crisp – come together in this amazing Caramel Macchiato French Toast Breakfast Casserole!
Whether you serve this French Toast Breakfast Casserole Recipe for breakfast, lunch or dinner (my favorite), you must make it! The recipe goes together in minutes, is made ahead and has all the wonderful comforting flavors you will love!
When our boys were young, Sunday mornings and holidays were reserved for a big breakfast. I would often make a big batch of pancakes, fruit salad, eggs, and bacon. And the boys would devour them. It was a time that we all came together in the kitchen and enjoyed a few hours in the morning. Now that the boys are older, we don’t often share in that time in the morning, but we do enjoy breakfast for dinner at least once a month.
As you know, I am a huge fan of the International Delight Coffee Creamers. Not only in our coffee, but in many of the desserts, cupcakes, and sweet treats that I have shared with you. This Caramel Macchiato French Toast Breakfast Casserole is no different. By simply swapping the milk for International Delight Caramel Macchiato, it gives this breakfast casserole recipe a creamy, unique flavor.
The base of the recipe is very simple – bread, eggs, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and International Delight ® Caramel Macchiato. The butter and brown sugar are cooked for a couple minutes on the stove until the butter is melted and the brown sugar is dissolved into the butter. The brown sugar mixture is poured into the pan, and topped with cubes of bread. Then the eggs and Caramel Macchiato are whisked together and poured over top. A little sprinkle of cinnamon, and into the refrigerator it goes for several hours or overnight.
I think this breakfast casserole would make a delicious Christmas morning treat. Especially since you can put it together the day before and then just bake it in the morning.
Before you are ready to bake the casserole, it’s time to add the crunchy topping. This is where Breakfast Casserole meets Apple Crisp – and it’s heavenly! Just like the topping you add to apple crisp, a mixture of flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter get mixed and crumbled on top of the casserole before baking. When I pulled the casserole out of the oven, it reminded me of my Mom’s Apple Crisp.
Side note – I can hardly wait for Fall! Apples and Pumpkins and the changing leaves! It’s the best! Don’t you think?
What inspires you? Does your morning coffee help you begin your day? Perhaps ignite your senses?
Visit the International Delight to share in your Delightful Moments
For giveaways and coupons, sign up for the International Delight Newsletter. It’s FREE!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 (8 oz) loaf bread, cut into cubes
- 6 eggs, whisked
- 2 cups International Delight Caramel Macchiato
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Spray square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, set aside
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter and brown sugar until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved, about 2-4 minutes
- Pour brown sugar mixture into pan
- Cut bread into cubes and add to pan, spreading evenly
- Whisk together eggs and Caramel Macchiato
- Pour over bread, pushing bread own making sure it's coated with egg mixture
- Sprinkle with cinnamon
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight
- Remove from fridge about 20 minutes before baking
- Mix together topping and sprinkle on casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until topping is crunchy and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean
- Serve immediately
This conversation is sponsored by International Delight. The opinions and text are all mine.