Fall is my favorite season to bake! With all the delicious flavors to enjoy – pumpkin, cinnamon, apples, caramel and more – how can you wrong? These Caramel Apple Cupcakes start with a doctored cake mix, then stuffed with apples, and topped with a Caramel Frosting, a sprinkle of walnuts and drizzle with caramel these cupcakes are the perfect Fall treat.
Happy Cupcake Tuesday! I’m so excited you are here! Looking for a cupcake recipe? Be sure to check out the Cupcake Heaven page, there are over 250 cupcake recipes and decorating ideas!
There’s nothing quite like caramel and apple combination for Fall. One of our favorite family activities in the Fall is to visit the apple orchard and pick a big bag. Next to Christmas, this is my favorite time of year to bake.
There are many different ways to fill a cupcake. We learned how to core and fill cupcakes during Cupcake Boot Camp. After the center was removed I filled the cupcakes with chopped Fried Apples.
A big dollop of Caramel Frosting, then walnuts and drizzle of caramel finishes off the cupcakes.
Caramel Apple Cupcakes
The perfect Fall treat. Recipe from HoosierHomemade.com
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 18-24 cupcakes
- 1 yellow or butter flavor cake mix
- 1 small box instant butterscotch pudding
- 1 cup buttermilk (splash of vinegar in a measuring cup, fill with milk, let set a couple minutes)
- 4 eggs, room temp
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 packet Duncan Hines Frosting Creations – Caramel Flavor
- Use this Fried Apples Recipe or Apple Pie Filling
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Salted Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 cup Shortening
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4-6 tablespoons very cold milk
- 8-9 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup caramel topping
- Walnuts, chopped roughly, if desired
- Caramel Topping, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and add cupcake pan with liners
- Mix all ingredients until smooth, divide batter into cupcake liners
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Let cool completely
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butters and shortening until smooth, about 3-5 minutes
- Add vanilla and cream together
- Gradually add 4-5 cups of powdered sugar
- Alternating with a couple tablespoons of milk
- Gradually add remaining powdered sugar, alternating with more milk until desired consistency
- Mix in caramel topping until smooth
- Core cupcake and fill with apples
- Frost cupcakes, add walnuts and drizzle of caramel topping if desired