Last weekend, before decorating our Halloween Cupcakes, we tried our hand at Caramel Apples.
I had never made caramel from scratch, and was pretty pleased with the result.
- 1/2 c. Butter
- 1 1/2 c. Brown Sugar
- 3/4 c. Corn Syrup
- 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 t. Vanilla
- 1/4 t. Cinnamon
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan, add sugar, syrup and milk.
- Bring to boil and cook until thick.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and cinnamon.
- After dipping the apple in the caramel, place on waxed paper
We added some extra treats to ours. Here are a few ideas…
- Smores – drizzle in chocolate, add mini marshmallows and crushed graham crackers
- white or chocolate almond bark melted and drizzled
- peanuts, chopped
- M & M’s or any other candy you like
- Chocolate chips – regular size or mini
Cook’s note: – the caramel did drip quite a bit on the first apples, but when we let it sit for a bit, it thickened and hardened and stuck to the apple better. And we found when adding the extras to the apples, it was easier to pick the apple up by the stick and then coat it. I didn’t get a lot of pictures, because the apples all didn’t look the greatest, but they tasted really good. In fact, my son and his girlfriend ate 2 of them before I could take a picture. I will definately continue to make this caramel.
Be sure to stop back tomorrow for Cupcake Tuesday! There is going to be an awesome giveaway this week! Lots of chances to enter!
For more great blog carnivals, please visit: