Whip up this five ingredient Watergate Salad as a side dish or dessert in just five minutes. This classic recipe is a family favorite, perfect for potlucks and will disappear fast.
Watergate Salad History
As with most classic recipes, the origin of a recipe has many variations of stories. According to Kraft, the popular Pistachio Fluff recipe began when their recipe for Pistachio Pineapple Delight was featured on the box of Pistachio Pudding. The original recipe did not have the mini marshmallows in it.
Then in 1993, the name was changed to Watergate Salad by Kraft and the marshmallows were added.
Watergate Salad Variations
Like many other recipes, this recipe has changed and evolved over the years and has many variations, depending on the cook and how she likes to make it.
- Watergate Salad with Cottage Cheese – I have never tried this variation before, although it does sound interesting.
- Watergate Salad with Coconut – the addition of 1/2 cup coconut would give a little more texture to the recipe
- Watergate Salad with Cherries – adding maraschino cherries would be a great addition. Not only would they taste good, but they would add more color to the recipe.
There are also many variations of Fluff Recipes – Cherry Fluff, Pineapple Fluff, Pumpkin Fluff and Cranberry Fluff are all recipes that can be made with a handful of ingredients in just a few minutes.
How to Make Watergate Salad
This retro recipe from 1975 for Watergate Salad – or some call it Pistachio Fluff – can be made in about five minutes and it has only five ingredients. It’s the perfect make-ahead dish for potlucks or holidays. In November for Thanksgiving, many feasts wouldn’t be complete without it, and it’s great for Easter brunch or dinner. Add it to any Summer BBQ and you will have a hit on your hands.
This Pistachio Fluff is also one of those recipes that actually taste better if made a day ahead. It has time to set and all the flavors combine well together.
Watergate Salad Ingredients
- Instant Pistachio Pudding mix
- Crushed Pineapple
- Mini Marshmallows
- Whipped Topping
This Watergate Salad recipe is always a hit! Try it for your next party!
Looking for more easy Fluff Recipes? Click on the photo for the recipe!
- 1 cup Mini Marshmallows
- 1 package (4 oz) Pistachio Flavored Instant Pudding
- 1 can (20 oz) Crushed Pineapple, do not drain
- 1/2 cup Pecans, chopped plus some for garnish if you like
- 1 (8 oz) tub Whipped Topping, thawed
- Fresh pineapple for garnish, if desired
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl
- Stir until well combined
- Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving, overnight is fine.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator
Be sure to chill this recipe completely, it tastes better the next day.