Ring in the New Year with New Year’s Cupcakes with Champagne Buttercream Frosting from HoosierHomemade.com.
- Jolly Ranchers (we had to buy 3 small bags to get enough blue and purple)
- cookie cutters
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 cup butter (I have been using I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter and it works fine)
- 1 cup shortening
- 2-4 tablespoons Champagne
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover a cookie sheet with foil.
- Unwrap 4 Jolly Ranchers of the same flavor.
- Place them side by side like I have in the picture.
- Note: In the What’s New, Cupcake? book , they crushed the candy before baking it. I wanted the stars to be a little thicker, so I didn’t crush mine.
- Bake for about 4-5 minutes, watch them closely, because they melt super fast.
- Heavily spray cookie cutters with cooking spray and push them into the candy.
- Let it cool until you can touch it.
- Carefully remove the foil from the back of the candy and VERY carefully break off the excess candy, then remove the star from the cookie cutter.
- Place them on wax paper (there is foil under the wax paper for the picture).
- If you have some candy that breaks, like I did, that’s okay, you can still use them by placing that side into the frosting.
- Beat the butter and shortening until creamy, gradually add the powdered sugar and Champagne until desired consistency. You may need to add a little more sugar or liquid depending on how thick or thin you want your frosting.
Add the Decorations
- I baked my cupcakes in silver liners to add a little more sparkle!
- After your cupcakes (any flavor) have cooled, mound frosting in the middle and spread, covering the entire cupcake.
- Sprinkle with white jimmies and white sugar pearls.
- Place your stars in the middle.