Office Makeover: Color Choices

I’ve shared my office with you a few times. I’ve tried to organize with baskets, a couple years ago I made some decorated canisters and more recently I shared the Repurposed Baker’s Rack with you.  And while all of those have been great, I still struggle with the color in the room.

Not only is it dark and hard to take photos in, it’s also very manly.

See…it says “A Man Has To Do What A Man Has To Do”…seriously?

And the walls…yes, an ugly burnt orange color!

So this is where you…my much loved readers come in…

What color should I paint?

Glidden has graciously offered me some paint to give my ugly office a makeover! AND check out this little button below {it’s also in my sidebar}…the one that says..”Click Here for a Valuable Coupon”…go ahead! Click! You will get a coupon for $3 off per gallon or try a couple of the Glidden testers for $3 off!

And here’s where you all come in…

• Tell me what color would be good…keep in mind I need to shoot photos of food in the office
  • Do you have a DIY desk that Doug could make for me?
  • What are some fun accessories?
  • Remember the French Cottage Office I designed for the Apartment Guide Sweepstakes? Should I copy that?

I REALLY appreciate your feedback!! You all ROCK!!

This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias. As always, the opinions are my own.

Comments

1. Yvonne says:

I always like a beige colour as it allows me to change my accessories to add colour and style. Otherwise I would recommend a dusty green, natural tones help make a room appear bigger and again allow you to add pops of colour with artwork and accessories. Hope that helps and thanks for all your inspring posts.

2. Michelle says:

I just check out the French Cottage Office. I LOVE IT!!! If you don’t want to do your’s in those colors. . . .mine is available LOL As for a desk, a 3/4″ plywood (birch, of course) atop two two-drawer file cabinets always works. And you could paint the cabinets to match the decor.
    Michelle recently posted..Cleaning SiteMy Profile

3. I can’t believe I’m going to say this (because I LOVE color) but I think a pale, pale ivory, almost white. The reason I say this is because you’ll need the light for photos. I love your french cottage office that you designed and I think you should give it pops of black and white damask and toile with some Paris pink accessories. Vintage white lace curtains and linens will keep the room neutral, let in light and give you a cottage feel. Think about stacked Parisian hat boxes for storage, and maybe making a large fabric (or 2) bulletin board with crossed ribbon for holding ideas. You may also want to frame a black chalkboard with a white wooden frame. A white painted vintage desk with curved legs would love wonderful. Have fun, and good luck :)
    Shannon Imlay recently posted..My Love Affair With CoffeeMy Profile

4. Nutmeg Nanny says:

I love a nice sage green color. It’s so pretty :) I also think butter yellow is pretty because it makes the room nice and bright.

5. janelle says:

I think you should choose a color that inspires you…one that when you see it you think..aww…how beautiful. For me that would be something in the turquoise family. Something with grey tones to it.

6. cindy says:

I too go for the neutral tones, you can dress it up with lime green, subtle shades of sage, light light yellow, etc.

This way it can be redesigned with just a slight change in accessories, window coverings, rugs, etc.

I’m all over minimal changes as I live on a tight budget. I just decorated our back porch, it’s open to the outside, but screened in. I put the regular lawn furniture in there, added a rug, a glass plate found on a clearance, a candle holder, shoved some artificial flower stems in a vase. VOILA! A wonderful cozy setting where we can relax.

For Halloween, throw down a black shag rug, add some new candles, a large black plate, a wooden witch’s hat, voila, for only a few dollars the entire place is transformed. LOVE IT!
    cindy recently posted..Gerard Depardieu…..on Ridiculist….Anderson Cooper reportsMy Profile

7. Tiffany says:

First, I’ve got to say I’m jealous of the office – with a door even! And all those photo props! I dream… As for color, if you’ve got to do photos, I’d go with white or nearly white. Love the French Cottage office picks.
    Tiffany recently posted..Ingredient Spotlight: ChickenMy Profile

8. I can’t wait to see what you come up with. How great that you have an office! My couch is my office right now. LOL!! I agree a light color for photos would be great! Can’t wait to see the final product!
    Rene @ Budget Saving Mom recently posted..Weekly Deals: Family Dollar 8/31-9/6My Profile

9. Susan says:

I happen to LOVE the office as it is!! Although I have a large office that’s attached to the entrance to my master bedroom. I’ve done the walls with a mustard color, and a faux finish with burnt umber glaze on top, which made the whole (off white) room come alive! I had art work just waiting to hang, collected over the years, and as soon as the room was painted, the art work completed it and it became an amazing space! If you like yellow, but don’t want to have a “pastel/Easter looking” office, think about adding a bit of mustard yellow and a transparent tint of glaze on top of it. Question: I also LOVE the striped molding I see at the ceiling level. Would you care to share how you accomplished that? Thanks so much, and good luck!

• CupcakeLady says:

Hi Susan, Thanks for the tips on the glazing. The striped molding at the top of the room, as well as, the stenciling and painting was already done when we moved in 3 yrs ago. It appears that the painter just taped it off and painted the different colors. Then attached a small piece of stained molding above it.
      Hope that helps!
      ~Liz

10. Kimberly Leech says:

I personally would never paint with Glidden again

Trackbacks

1. […] updating it into something that she loves to work in everyday. Help her decide on her office colors here. This entry was posted in Testimonials. Bookmark the permalink. ← Storage Room to Toddler […]