There’s nothing quite like homemade candy and these Homemade Creamy Caramels make the perfect treat!
Whether you call it “kar-uh-muhl,” “kar-uh-mel” or “kar-muhl,” caramel is delicious. From ice cream to coffee to cookies, I love anything with caramel on it. And having tried many different types, I know that creamy caramels made at home are some of the best around. They are soft and chewy, and the flavor just doesn’t compare to store bought.
Caramels aren’t difficult to make, it just takes patience and attention. Keeping an eye on the thermometer and watching so the caramels don’t cook too fast is the key. If you can do that, you’ll have great tasting caramels every time.
As part of the Become a Better Baker Blogger Ambassadorship, Karo® Syrup asked me to give their Creamy Caramels recipe a try. Now, I have to admit, I’ve made lots and lots of recipes over the years, and some of them have been candy. However homemade caramels have been on my must-try list for several years, so it was perfect timing to give them a try.
Honestly, it did take me two tries, but not because of the recipe, only because I cooked them too long the first time. The second try was better, although they probably could have been cooked a little longer this time. I think I was doubting my candy thermometer the second time around.
But, what I do know – they taste amazing!
I also learned that it’s best to have all the ingredients and tools ready that you may need. The Homemade Creamy Caramels Recipe is very simple with KARO Corn Syrup, sugar, heavy whipping cream, milk, vanilla, salt and butter. The only ingredient that I changed from the original recipe on the Karo® website was the butter. It did make the caramels a bit well – buttery, but I don’t think I will add it next time, the caramels were fine without it. Be sure to have your square pan ready and lined with parchment paper.
After the caramels set for a couple hours and cooled to room temperature, we wrapped them in wax paper. We cut the caramels about 1 inch square and used 3 inch square pieces of wax paper for wrapping.
These Homemade Creamy Caramels would be great as a gift for Valentine’s Day. Dress up a Mason Jar with a ribbon and a Valentine’s Day tag on it and give it out as gifts to friends, co-workers and teachers.
Check out the Become a Better Baker eCookbook! It’s FREE!
Homemade Creamy Caramels - there's nothing quite like Homemade Candy! These soft, creamy caramels are the perfect treat!
15 minPrep Time
1 hr, 15 Cook Time
1 hr, 30 Total Time
- 1 1/2 cups Karo® Light OR Dark Corn Syrup
- 2 cups heavy or whipping cream, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Line 8-inch square pan with parchment paper
- Combine corn syrup, 1 cup cream, milk, sugar and salt in a 4-quart saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking (at a low boil) and stirring occasionally until temperature on candy thermometer reaches 234°F
- Be patient, this can take about 40 minutes.
- Gradually add remaining 1 cup cream in a thin steady stream, stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring frequently being careful not to scrape the sides of the pan, until temperature on candy thermometer reaches 244°F.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pan, cool on wire rack at least 1 hour or until room temperature
- Invert onto cutting board, and cut with knife dipped in hot water