This summer has been so hot. Just this week we had heat indexes in the 100’s! All of that hot weather made me want an icy drink. This frozen strawberry lemonade hits the spot, and is my favorite way to beat the heat!
Earlier this summer, I made skinny strawberry lemonade and it was so good! But with the heat, I was craving a frozen version! I altered the recipe a tiny bit, added a lot of ice, and made the perfect summer lemonade.
I have two favorite parts about this recipe. One: fresh fruit! Fresh lemons and strawberries give this lemonade the best homemade taste- and make it so much better than anything you can buy in the store. Heating up the strawberries on the stove with a little sugar really brings out the natural flavors and makes this drink so summery! It is the perfect pick me up to sip on the porch in the afternoons before getting back to work!
My other favorite part of the frozen strawberry lemonade? Using Truvia instead of sugar to make the simple syrup. This one simple switch makes this a low sugar (and lower calorie) treat- while still having the sweetness! It makes me feel better about making it, oh… every afternoon!
Another tip? After you make a batch, put the unused portion in the freezer. When you want another cup, let thaw for a few minutes and blend it back up!
What is your favorite summer treat? Do you like frozen drinks? A lot of ice? Popsicles?
- 1 cup warm water
- ¾ cup sugar or 7 tablespoons Truvia
- 10-12 strawberries depending on the size
- 2-4 teaspoons sugar or 1 -2 teaspoons Truvia
- Splash of water
- 6-7 fresh lemons, squeezed
- ¼ cup Water
- In a small saucepan, combine warm water and sugar or Truvia
- Whisk to combine
- Bring to gentle boil, remove from heat, cool
- Place clean and cut strawberries in small saucepan
- Sprinkle with sugar or Truvia
- Add splash of water (about 1-2 tablespoons)
- Cook over medium-low heat stirring frequently until berries begin to breakdown and look soft. About 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and mash gently
- Squeeze lemons and add juice to 8 measuring cup or large pitcher
- Add chilled simple syrup
- Add water
- Combine mashed strawberries, lemonade and enough ice to fill blender
- Blend until smooth
- Serve immediately or freeze for later